Comment on PEP-0322: Reverse Iteration Methods

Sean Ross sross at connectmail.carleton.ca
Fri Sep 26 15:08:04 EDT 2003

I'll put it another way. I'm not interested in the semantics, nor in the
implementation. My interest is in the syntax. If this feature can be added
to the language (and I don't care whether it can or cannot be), then I would
prefer to read code like

for i in ireverse(xrange(n)):

than

for i in xrange(n).iter_backwards(n):

And there ends my superficial concerns in this matter. If my proposed syntax
implies more than the other syntax proposals, then I withdraw the
suggestion. I've no interest in arguing about whether those, or any other,
implications can be met. I'm talking sugar. You're talking substance. And I
don't care. If it can be done, let it be done, and give it pretty name. If
it can't be done, then it doesn't much matter what name you give it.

I hope were done here,
Sean