Thoughts on PEP315

Heather Coppersmith me at privacy.net
Tue Sep 23 06:27:44 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 05:35:57 GMT,
Jordan Krushen <jordan at krushen.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:08:06 +0100, Stephen Horne wrote:
>> for ever :
>> <statements>
>> break if <condition> :

> You could always hide something similar in a generator:

> def forever():
>      while True: yield True

> for now in forever():
>      print 'looping forever...'

> ...although I must admit, I don't really mind "while True:" that
> much.

Don't forget that values other than "True" are true, too
(shamelessly stolen from a previous post from Tim Peters):

    # basic file iteration (which can be done in other ways, but
    # simply demonstrates my point)
    while "there is another line in the file":
        nextlinefromfile = getnextlinefromfile( )
        if not nextlinefromfile:
            break
        moresprocessing( )

    # typical server-like endless loop
    while "[heck] has not frozenover":
        command = getnextcommand( )
        actoncommand( command )

strings-are-true'ly yours,
Heather

--
Heather Coppersmith
That's not right; that's not even wrong. -- Wolfgang Pauli