Why python???

Michael Peuser mpeuser at web.de
Fri Sep 5 15:22:30 EDT 2003

"yeung_too" <yeung_too at yahoo.com.hk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3335321.1062775466 at dbforums.com...

> Dear all,
>

>     My college used C for beginner course and use Java to demostrate OO
>     concept. Anyway, I tried python and found that it is a very good
>     language. I think many people spend time on Java and university uses
>     Java because Sun Microsystem spends much money to promote and
>     develop the Java language. I just feel that our world spends most
>     time on promote things, rich company can promote computer language
>     very well. Open source without huge money support, people may
>     dislike their product. What do you think, But i really like open
>     source ideas, it improves our world, not just $$$.

I don't think so much Python will improve our world. There are strong forces
(not only $$$) enforcing the use of other languages like Java (the COBOL of
the 21st century), C++, C# (both quite similar to Java), a little bit PHP 4
here and there and - of course! - still C (the machine independent assembly
language).

If you ever want to use your programming skills to earn money, become expert
in one of those.

What are the forces then? In all the companies - especially the smaller
ones - I worked with we used MS Office and C/C++.  Because when you are
looking for a secretary she probably will know MS Office, and when you are
looking for a progarmmer he most likely will know C.

This is a kind of mathematical law ;-)

Kindly
Michael P