Replacing Element Nodes

Simon Dean simon.dean at Sun.COM
Wed Sep 3 14:29:28 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to replace Element Node's in 'dom' with Element Node's from
'domFromRef'. The Element Nodes are selected as a result of processing XML ref's
present in 'dom'.

At the moment,

print replacementElementNode
PrettyPrint(replacementElementNode)

prints the Element Nodes which I want to use in my replaceNode function e.g.,

<Element Node at 853a04c: Name='LC_COLLATION' with 0 attributes and 5 childern>

<LC_COLLATION>
  <Collator>
  <CollationOptions>
    <...etc>
  <CollationOptions>
</LC_COLLATION>

What should I call now in 'def replaceNode' to replace the elements ?

My program is below, any help much appreciated.

cheers,
Simon.

from    xml.dom.ext.reader      import  PyExpat
from    xml.dom.ext             import  PrettyPrint
from    xml.xpath               import  Evaluate
import  sys

sys.getdefaultencoding()
reader = PyExpat.Reader()
dom = reader.fromStream(sys.stdin)

def reconstructDom(dom):

        refs = Evaluate('/Locale//*[@ref]', dom.documentElement)
        for i in range(len(refs)):
                elementName = refs[i].nodeName

                for parent in dom.getElementsByTagName(elementName):
                        if parent.nodeName == 'LC_FORMAT':
                                attFileValue = parent.getAttribute('ref')
                                attCurrValue = parent.getAttribute('replaceTo')
                                getFormatElementBlockFromFile(elementName, attFileValue, attCurrValue)
                        else:
                                attFileValue = parent.getAttribute('ref')
                                reader = PyExpat.Reader()

                                clone, elementName, domFromRef = getParentElementBlockFromFile(elementName, attFileValue, domFromRef
)
                                newDom = replaceNode(clone, elementName, domFromRef)

def getParentElementBlockFromFile(elementName, attFileValue, domFromRef):

        domFromRef = reader.fromUri('/home/sd/data_3/' +attFileValue +'.xml')

        for parent in domFromRef.getElementsByTagName(elementName):
                clone = parent.cloneNode(1)
                return clone, elementName, domFromRef

def getFormatElementBlockFromFile(elementName, attFileValue, attCurrValue):
        pass

def replaceNode(clone, elementName, domFromRef):

        # replace Element Node from domFromRef with Element Node from dom and return dom to higher object
        replacementElementNode = dom.importNode(clone, 1)

	print replacementElementNode
        PrettyPrint(replacementElementNode)

        #return newDom

# main()