Writing solid code book

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Thu Sep 4 11:54:47 EDT 2003

Jules Dubois <bogus at invalid.tld> writes:

> On 03 Sep 2003 13:58:00 +0100, John J. Lee wrote:
>
> > The Python Cookbook is the first book I'd have on my list if I were
> > learning Python now (O'Reilly, eds. Martelli & Ascher).
>
> That's the only Python book you think worth having?  Or buying?

As a general Python book, yes (having or buying).  The standard
library docs are good enough that I've never had a need for anything
else.  The Cookbook is good for getting a sense of good Pythonic
style.

People have said good things about some of the Python reference books,
though.  In the past -- and quite possibly now -- the books by Beazley
and Lundh were two that were often recommended, and the more recent
O'Reilly Nutshell has also been praised.

> My "Software Engineering" class votes again tomorrow on the language we use
> for our group project.  Tuesday's vote was Java (8 votes), Python (5), C++
> (3), and Smalltalk (1); Thursday's vote will be between Java and Python.  I
> get the opportunity to learn one or the other in a week.

Why not ignore the result and dictate the language choice yourself?
(benevolently, of course ;-)

John