"tuple index out of range" side effect of C extension??

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Sep 18 10:28:18 EDT 2003

Andrew MacIntyre <andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au> writes:

> I'm seeing a bizarre situation where IndexErrors are being thrown with
> "tuple index out of range" error strings.

[snippety]

> Has anyone ever encountered this sort of bizarreness while working with a
> C extension?

Usually, this is the infamous "non-NULL return with exception set",
i.e. the extension module sets an exception but then fails to return
NULL to let the interpreter know about it.

It's a shame you can't build a debug build, as that would help find
out if this really was the problem...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I have gathered a posie of other men's flowers, and nothing but
  the thread that binds them is my own.                   -- Montaigne