OT: Americans love their guns

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu Sep 11 11:08:35 EDT 2003

>I believe that passing a law will cause more >deaths to take place, I will
oppose the law >even if personally I wouldn't mind owning a gun >for
protection.

Funny.

If guns were outlawed, historically, in the U.S. I probably would also
oppose changing that law to make them legal, in the absence of evidence that
there would be a net savings of lives.

It is the disallowance of something that historically has been allowed -
tacitly, or explicitly, it matters not -  that I react to in part.

I am not a philosophical libertarian. But perhaps have some strong ideas
about the managment of change, and where change should be targetted, and how
change needs to be justified.

Here, it is not an issue of first impression - and there is good reason to
not treat it as such.  Very good reason.

A slip on a *very* slippery slope.

Art