When did Windows start accepting forward slash as a path separator?

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au
Thu Sep 25 20:48:33 EDT 2003

On 25 Sep 2003 16:50:49 -0700, Stephen Ferg wrote:
> But now, among a small group of cognoscenti, it is a truism that this
> is a myth, and that Windows will allow you to use either the forward
> or the backward slash as a pathname separator.

I highly doubt it, since the forward slash (or just "slash") is the
conventional Windows command-line option indicator, analogous to the
hyphen on Unix.  To accept it as the start of a filename would break
zillions of existing systems, for no appreciable benefit to Microsoft.

Python automagically determines the path component separator, os.sep,
and uses it for most file path transformations to and from the internal
language's '/'.

    <http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.1/lib/os-path.html#l2h-1552>

Is this perhaps what gives you the impression?

--
 \     "I went to a restaurant that serves 'breakfast at any time'. So |
  `\        I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance."  -- Steven |