Why python???

Michael Peuser mpeuser at web.de
Sat Sep 6 11:25:15 EDT 2003

"John J. Lee" <jjl at pobox.com>
> "Michael Peuser" <mpeuser at web.de> writes:
> > "Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it>
> [...]
> > My other point was that there is nothing like that going on in the
software
> > development business. The price of tools is of no significance. It is
the
> > (expected increase of productivity) The DoD Ada is the best example I
can
> > think of.
>
> I haven't noticed anybody here arguing about tool costs.  The issue is
> productivity.
Productivity was your issue we are discussing now - I started this (sub)
thread with a remark about costs......

[...]

> > Coding is agreed, maintenance is still questionable.
>
> You believe fewer lines of code, written in a language that almost
> everybody who uses it claims is the most readable they've ever seen,
> results in maintenance problems?  Perhaps you haven't discovered
> thorough unit-testing.
A maintenance problem occurs as well when the underlying virtual machine
changes or - as in case of the open system structure of Python - sone
add-ons have to be exchanged. An open system is *always* a mainenance
nightmare
[...]
> > It is not clear whether this is just a niche market like e.g. MATLAB.
>
> I honestly can't find any sense in that statement -- it's a foolishly
> empirical statement (and doesn't even reflect the empirical data).
> What reason do you have for thinking that Python is somehow magically
> restricted to implementing large search-engines??  Is it full of
> task-specific syntax and semantics like MATLAB?  Have you read the
> success stories page, or peoples' reports in this group?
Yes I have.

Kindly
Michael P