Embedding Python in multi-threaded app

Harri Pesonen Harri.Pesonen at wicom.com
Thu Sep 4 09:11:18 EDT 2003

I solved it. Downloaded the PyWM source code (http://pywx.idyll.org/)
and checked how it does it. Even if it is linux code, my Win32
application started working (or in fact stopping) correctly.

The correct startup sequence is:

	Py_Initialize();
	PyEval_InitThreads();
	mainState = PyThreadState_Swap(NULL);
	PyEval_ReleaseLock();

And the correct cleanup sequence is:

	PyEval_AcquireLock();
	PyThreadState_Swap(mainState);
	PyEval_ReleaseLock();
	Py_Finalize();

I don't understand why

	mainState = PyThreadState_Swap(NULL);
and
	PyThreadState_Swap(mainState);
	PyEval_ReleaseLock();

are needed, so if someone can explain? :-)

Harri