Python 2.1 Compilation error - can't find krb5.h

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Sep 17 11:54:48 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 11:07, Gabby wrote:
> I am attempting to compile python 2.1 from the source on a RedHat 9.0
> system.  The problem is that a openssl header file (kssl.h) requires
> krb5.h which isn't in the usual place (/usr/include).  Instead krb5.h
> gets installed at usr/kerberos/include.  The openssl version is
> 0.9.7a-2.  When I build python, the ./configure works fine but the
> make' has problems building the _socket extension.  The beginning of
> the error message is pasted below.  How do I let python know where to
> find the krb5.h file?

This problem is fixed in CVS, but there hasn't been much interest in a
2.1.4 release since it's now two minor revisions out of date.

The solution is to add the following bit of code to setup.py just after
ssl_incs is defined.

        krb5_h = find_file('krb5.h', inc_dirs,
                           ['/usr/kerberos/include'])
        if krb5_h: