simple-mapi, python, and outlook express

Mark Hahn mark at hahnca.com
Tue Sep 9 16:13:15 EDT 2003

I want to add a feature to my about-to-be-released Python windows app that
allows me to send email with attachments.  I was hoping to use MAPI so that
my user doesn't have to deal with setting the mail server, proxy settings,
return mail address, etc. and could use their existing addr book (this app
is for dummies).  I first tried out CDO only to find out that recent outlook
installations haven't been installing that.  Then I went to the trouble to
get a pure MAPI send to work (if anyone wants that as an example, let me
know) only to find out that Outlook express doesn't support MAPI, it only
supports simple-MAPI.  Now I just found out that Python's win32all doesn't
support simple-MAPI.

AARRGGHH I really really hate windows (I feel better now).

Unless anyone can correct any of my assumptions above, or suggest any new
way to do this, I guess I'll just give up and put in the complete python
mail client and forget using their default mail client.