Comments on Python Redesign

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 7 15:24:33 EDT 2003

Aahz wrote:

> I'm leaning toward vetoing any such plan.  One problem with the Perl
> community is that it's not clear which web site to use for different
> purposes -- I think we should keep www.python.org as the universal URL.
>
> That said, there likely will be a subsection of python.org that is aimed
> at managers, with a more designed look and more graphics; someone trying
> to convince a specific manager could point zir into the subsection.

+1

I totally agree with Aahz here.

We are, after all, talking about a _programming language_ here.  So how hard is
it to tell a PHB 'go to www.python.org/corporate'?  This leaves the rest of
people who might think that to learn about the python programming language,
www.python.org would be an ok starting point, happy.

A basic rule of design should always be:  a default (www.python.org) value
should satisfy the _majority_ of usage cases (not those with the most
money/corporate power/whatever).  Since the majority of visitors to the site
can arguably be thought to be developers, _that_ is the audience the default
url should target.  A visible 'corporate' link, along with a single-level url
(www.python.org/corporate, perhaps even aliased to corporate.python.org) can
satisfy the PHBs with minimal effort.

I'm happy to see the main site improve, but NEVER at the cost of making me, a
developer,  a second-class citizen there.  Any graphical/functional
enhancements to the main site are welcome, as long as they don't detract from
its core function: being the Python _Programming language_'s home.

Cheers,

f.