python script as an emergency mailbox cleaner

Phil Weldon pweldon at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 20 12:34:24 EDT 2003

No, it is only one worm with multiple methods of attack.

#1.  The fake 'security update' announcement purporting to be from Microsoft
(this e-mail is in HTML) and that includes an infected attachment.  If you
don't have protection, opening this e-mail runs the attachment even if you
don't run it.  So far the body of this vector doesn't vary, though the
header information does.

#2.  The bogus 'Undeliverable e-mail' message in which everything seems to
vary except, so far, the infected attachment that purports to be your
bounced e-mail.

#3.  The worm scans PtoP file-sharing data to spread further.

#4.  The worm hijacks servers to act as a source from which to download
packages to vary the infectious e-mail.

#5. The worm can post to usenet.  Here's the header of a post that appeared
this morning on alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit

FROM: "Clive Skingle" <mufchfohaauqze_qset at ykmke.com>
NEWSGROUPS:
alt.comp.lang.php,alt.comp.mail.postfix,alt.comp.mail.qmail,alt.comp.malaysi
a,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.main
board.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.a
ti
SUBJECT: Watch this critical update from the M$