Dislin compilation

Helmut Michels michels at linmpi.mpg.de
Tue Sep 16 11:01:11 EDT 2003

Gaubitzer Erwin wrote:

> Hi everybody
>
> I want to recompile the DISLIN graphics module for Python under Linux, because
> I think it is one of the best graphics libraries at present.
> The included module was for version 2.0 and I want it for 2.2 or maybe 2.3.
> The problem is, that I use the small make_py script which only
> calls the gcc compiler
>
>   CC="gcc -fPIC -c -O"
>   PYTH_INC="/usr/local/include/python2.0"
>   PYTH_CONF="/usr/local/lib/python2.0/config"
>   gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,dislinmodule.so -o dislinmodule.so *.o \
>  -L$DISLIN -ldislnc
>
>  but I think many variables arent configured,
> so a long list of errors follows (I copied the first few lines to
> the end)
>
> I dont have experience with makefiles and so I want to ask what I
> have to do in a short way.

You have to edit the file 'make_py' and define the variables PYTH_INC and
PYTH_CONF with
corresponding directories of your Python version (i.e.
PYTH_INC=/"usr/local/include/python2.3"
or PYTH_INC="/usr/include/python2.3").
The environment variable DISLIN is used to locate the DISLIN library. You can
define it outside
of the make_py script with the installation directory of DISLIN (i.e. export
DISLIN=/usr/local/dislin).

Regards,

  Helmut Michels
  Max-Planck-Institut fuer Aeronomie  Phone: +49 5556 979-334
  Max-Planck-Str. 2                   Fax  : +49 5556 979-240
  D-37191 Katlenburg-Lindau           Mail : michels at linmpi.mpg.de
  DISLIN Home Page:                   http://www.dislin.de