Why python???

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Sep 7 09:05:01 EDT 2003

"Michael Peuser" <mpeuser at web.de> writes:

> Hi John,
> "John J. Lee" <jjl at pobox.com>
[...]
> These "users" need help, and I think they will get it from Python better
> than from most other sources. However someone has to make these tools,
> operating systems, embedded systems. This is a different task: it's Software
> Engineering.

This is just an arbitrary.  In this popular view point, if you use an
interpreter, you're suddenly not programming any more, but merely
"scripting".  Applications programming, apparently, is on the same
level.  So, Bernhard Herzog, for example (sketch.sf.net) isn't a "real
programmer", and nor are the OSAF with their Chandler project.  Oookay.

[...]
> This is no longer the argument for "glue language". As to general
> application programming languages Python has its pros and cons and has to be
> compared to Java, C#, C++ and even maybe VisualBasic. And my just personal
> opinion is that I doubt that Python will "take over".

Michael, TBH, that paragraph appears to be entirely lacking in any
content -- at least, any I can understand.

I'm afraid I've reached the same conclusion as Alex -- you're really
not trying, so I find I've lost enthusiasm to reply any more to your
posts.

[...]
> > And you got out of bed in the morning three hours before you went to
> > sleep, I know ;-)
>
> The situation was more complicated. Computer time was not free and during
> the normal work time there was not much chance to get a lot of CPU cycles.
> So we started to work when other people left off (between 6 and 7) I still
> today have my difficulties getting up early ;-)

:-)

John