Ternary operator

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) tdelaney at avaya.com
Mon Sep 8 18:45:23 EDT 2003

> From: Paul Moore [mailto:pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk]
>
> My feeling is that there is a majority who want a ternary operation
> (not including me, but what the heck) but that there is violent
> disagreement on the syntax.

I would disagree with this. My reading of the discussion, voting, etc was that the majority would not *oppose* a ternary operator, if a reasonable syntax could be agreed on. Most people also seemed to agree that a major advantage of having a definite syntax was that it would shut up the constant questions about it (note: *a* major advantage - not *the*).

The definition of "reasonable syntax" was what destroyed this.

FWIW, I definitely fall in the "would not oppose" group, and not the "actively want" group. I prefer not to use a ternary operator in any language. My bias may well be affecting my understanding.

Tim Delaney