Any tools to print source code call hierarchy

Lothar Scholz llothar at web.de
Sun Sep 7 06:21:25 EDT 2003

Simon Burton <simonb at webone.com.au> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.09.06.23.51.35.802469 at webone.com.au>...
> hmmm... I think (some) static analysis may be possible. The main
> thing to exclude is eval/exec but even then, yes you're right, some
> programs would just have to be run to find out what they do.

Whats with code like:

if foo:
   def myfunc():
       ... do something
else:
   def myfunc():
       ... calling your_func()

A Language where the program calling hierarchie depends on runtime
calculations is not able to provide good refactoring tools or static
flow analysis. This is the huge difference to a language like
Smalltalk where we live in an image.

And if you say that this is a hack, then you are making a big mistake,
look at currently used code and you will find so much uses of this
style (or even worse styles) that it seems to be a common paradigm.