Getting the Directory/Path details

Kali K E kalike2003 at netscape.net
Fri Sep 26 05:11:45 EDT 2003

Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote in message news:<bkv866$u2n$07$1 at news.t-online.com>...
> Kali K E wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I could not understand how I can do the following things in Python.
> > Please help me.
> >
> > 1. First I have to find the current directory from where the script is
> > invoked.
> > 2. Next I have to form a directory structure there. If the current
> > directory in step 1 is /home/mylogin, then from there I have to build
> > a directory structure like
> > /home/mylogin/result
> > /home/mylogin/tmp/
> > /home/mylogin/.....
> >
> > There are three things as I look at it. First determing the current
> > directory path. Second adding a string to it like /result etc. Third
> > creating the new directory.
> > Thank you for the help.
> >
> > Kali
>
> 1 os.getcwd()
> 2 os.path.join()
> 3 os.mkdir() or os.makedirs()
>
> <code>
> import os
>
> subfolders = [
>     "result",
>     "temp",
>     "something/else",
> ]
>
> folder = os.getcwd()
>
> for sf in subfolders:
>     os.makedirs(os.path.join(folder, sf))
> </code>

Hi,

Thank you very much for the answer. It works fine when used first
time. But when the directory already exists I am getting the following
traceback message.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "temp6.py", line 15, in ?
    os.makedirs(os.path.join(folder, sf))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/os.py", line 203, in makedirs
    mkdir(name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 17] File exists:
'/hda1/home/kalike/chnages/python/result'

How do I take care in such a case?

Also can you please let me know where I can search for all these OS or
system calls. Is it available as a document some where?

Thanks,
Kali