Compiler C or Python?

Jørgen Hermanrud Fjeld jhf at hex.no
Tue Sep 2 06:34:41 EDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 04:33:17PM -0500, Jeff Epler wrote:
> 4. It's possible to write code so that __import__ uses compiler.compile
> instead of the written-in-C compiler, but I don't have this code handy.
> Also, a test suite is needed, and presumably a written-in-C implementation
> as well. (option 2: make the compiler.compile interface the standard
> compiler, and let the builtin compiler support a Python subset
> sufficient to bootstrap the written-in-python compiler, or arrange
> to ship .pyc of the compiler package and completely get rid of the
> written-in-C compiler)

Could you make an effort to locate that code, or give some suggestions to
where I might locate it myself?

And in general, if should want to alter the Python compiler, should I start
with the Python or C version?
As far as I can see from your email the Python version is easier to modify,
but why two compilers? Isn't that a lot to maintain?

Sincerely
Jørgen