was: Re: looking for MOP documentation

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Sep 18 09:03:11 EDT 2003

Paul Foley wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 07:33:42 -0400, Peter Hansen wrote:
>
> > Ng Pheng Siong wrote:

> >> Meta Object Protocol.
>
> > Thanks, but one might say that this is what it spells, not what it _means_.
>
> Read the introduction to _The Art of the Metaobject Protocol_, at
> http://www2.parc.com/csl/groups/sda/publications/papers/Kiczales-AMOP/

Thanks Paul.

If that description is taken as authoritative about "the MOP", then it
seems to me after a first reading that Python *has no MOP*, and probably
will not, given Guido's approach to language design.

Am I correct?  Or does the term really have a broader meaning than what
I get out of that page, and Python in fact has aspects that could be called
its meta-object protocol?

Key phrase: "Metaobject protocols are interfaces to the language that give
users the ability to incrementally modify the language's behavior and
implementation...".  Near as I can tell, part of the whole character of Python
is that a user *cannot* do either of those things.

-Peter