Embedded Perl or Python (XPost)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Fri Sep 5 05:03:32 EDT 2003

In article <c907a3eba2b531449c8dc7a212285911 at news.teranews.com>,
Chris  <rebel at removethis.rebel.com.au> wrote:
			.
>I am developing a software project where a major portion of it is to
>enable script access to c++ classes
>
>The idea is to extend the basic functionality of the program by allowing
>third parties to write add ons that are called by my c++ classes as
>virtual functions.
			.
			.
			.
>Given the above which interpreter is most likely to fit my bill with the
>smallest footprint ?
			.
			.
			.
Let's be clear on what we're discussing.  When you write,
"smallest footprint", do you seriously mean, "creates the
smallest differential in the size of the resulting exe-
cutable image"?  Frankly, that would surprise me; your
project sounded interesting and useful up until those
last two words.  I don't mean to be harsh; unless there's
something you're not telling us, though, the size of
executables-as-file-images is quite unlikely to be even
the tenth most important aspect of your target.

I'll anticipate a bit more, and observe that Python is
likely to be the better choice, because it remains easier
for a newcomer to extend-or-embed (it's not clear that
you've decided between these alternatives), at least until
Perl 6 meets all its goals.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net