PEP-0263 and default encoding

Klaus Alexander Seistrup rasmus.klump at myorange.dk
Mon Sep 29 08:51:59 EDT 2003

Hi,

After upgrading my Python interpreter to 2.3.1 I constantly get
warnings like this:

  DeprecationWarning: Non-ASCII character '\xe6' in file
  mumble.py on line 2, but no encoding declared;
  see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details

And while I understand the problem, I cannot fathom why Python
doesn't simply rely on the encoding I have specified in site.py,
which then calls sys.setdefaultencoding().

Would anyone care to explain why the community has chosen to
inconvenience the user for each python script with non-ASCII
characters, rather than using the default encoding given in the
site.py configuration file?

Cheers,

  // Klaus