Writing solid code book

Edward K. Ream edreamleo at charter.net
Wed Sep 3 09:09:35 EDT 2003

> there is another famous book 'Writing solid code' but does it apply to
> Python ? Or it's usable only by Microsoft C programmers ? The author
> seems to be an ex-Microsoft guy !

Interesting question.  This book probably makes a good indirect case for
using Python rather than C.  I found it useful back when I was I C
programmer.  Python makes many of the points in the book moot, and the last
chapter on attitude applies universally.  For example, assertions are much
less useful in Python because the interpreter essentially asserts many
properties of each statement.  In Python one wants assertions only for
conditions that the interpreter can't possibly deduce.

BTW, back when I was a C programmer the book "Code Complete" would have been
a complete answer to the question, "what do you do?"  It's still relevant, I
would guess.

Edward
Edward K. Ream   email:  edreamleo at charter.net
Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines