Threading and Windows.

Jorge Godoy godoy at metalab.unc.edu
Tue Sep 30 19:06:25 EDT 2003

Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> writes:

> Jorge Godoy fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 30 September 2003
> 09:01 am:
>

>> The most interesting thing is that I get an error in Windows but I
>> don't get such an error in Linux.
>>
>         spawnv() is probably a direct match with a unix/linux system call, so
> the arguments are just being passed on -- and what linux does when it
> gets the address of a string where it expected an integer constant is
> unknown to me (probably sees the address /as/ the integer, and since
> P_WAIT is 0, the runtime is treating any non-zero to be the equivalent
> of P_NOWAIT)

The behaviour of treating it as nonzero would be expected. What
happens is the opposite of that as I described before: the program
hangs as if it received P_WAIT.

I think that they check explicitly for P_NOWAIT and treat anything
different as zero (P_WAIT).

The principle of least surprise was violated, IMVHO as a newbie on
that area. :-)

See you,
--
Godoy.     <godoy at metalab.unc.edu>