advice choosing IDE

HankC hankc at nospam.com
Fri Sep 19 00:36:54 EDT 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:18:48 +0200, "Michael Peuser" <mpeuser at web.de>
wrote:

>Well, I think you will have a hard time ahead. No one who has ever used
>Delphi, VB or RealBasic can really understand in what poore shape Python
>(and Perl is no better) support is ;-)

I beg to differ.  I've been programming Delphi professionally for
about six years so I know the tool well.  For Win32 development of
*anything* other than device drivers it's hands down the best
development tool, IMO.

However, 'shape' can be determined by requirements.  I'm in the
process of switching to BOA/Python...

- Cross platform applications will make me a lot of money.

- Execution speed isn't a huge issue for me.

What's wrong with Borland/Delphi?

- Because of their rapidly expanding product line, including big money
makers like JBuilder, Delphi is getting less attention (waiting,
waiting for bug fixes)

- Kylix is virtually dead, and never was good for generally
distributed application development because of it's release cycle.

Granted, BOA/Python has nowhere near the polish of Delphi but OTOH
Python has better staying power and better cross-platform support.
>From my POV, Python is in better shape than Delphi (VB is in even
worse shape).