Eureka!

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Sep 8 17:38:56 EDT 2003

    David> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote previously:
    David> |* You can't tell ahead of time what site you are going to be redirected to.
    David> |  As a result, you lose complete freedom to choose whether or not you should
    David> |  follow the link.

    David> As Dave Brueck noted, the same is true of ANY URL.  I use a few
    David> redirects on my own website, ...

Ditto here, including a couple for pages that started out in my Python Bits
tree but migrated elsewhere, like to the Python Wiki.

Clearly the opportunity for abuse using tiny urls is somewhat higher because
they are much easier to create, but I've never had a problem.  You judge the
context and the presumed source of the URL and take your chances.

Skip