irritating problem

Park997 park997 at aol.comnotospam
Tue Sep 16 08:23:04 EDT 2003

>Can you select Properties for that icon and change it so it doesn't close
>the window automatically when the program terminates?
>
>Or is this just using the default settings after you've installed Python,
>in which case it's being run using the assocation for the .py file extension?
>In that case, you should go to Explorer, under View->Folder Options.  Then
>click the File Types tab, scroll down until you find the entry for the Python
>files (make sure you use .py or .pyw as appropriate), then click on Edit,
>then on Run in the Actions area, then on Edit.  You should then see, in about
>
>the 19th dialog that has popped up (isn't Windows wonderful?! Truly those at
>Microsoft are masters of good user interface design!), the actual command
>that is being executed when you click on the icon.  I suspect it uses the
>directory that the .py file is in as the current directory, and it should
>show an absolute path to where it thinks Python should be, then something
>like "%1" %* which roughly means execute the file using the exact command
>plus the filename in quotation marks.  I suspect the %* does nothing in most
>cases.
>
>If you can then go to the DOS prompt in the same directory, and type the
>same command, and everything works.... well then you've got a problem on
>your hands, don't you?  ;-)  (But let us know more, then, as there are
>doubtless other steps to take.)
>
>-Peter

Thanks to everybody for the help. It turns out that there are two separate
python programs associated with the .py extention in windows. I have installed
Python 2.3 over 2.22 and 2.0 without removing any of the previous versions.
This is a numerical program using psyco (only available with the 2.3
installation. When I comment out the psyco import, it runs the double clicked
icon OK.

Thanks again to everybody for the help.

Wendell Cropper