wanted($): mac and linux python gui coders for porting

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Sep 17 01:37:08 EDT 2003

"Mark Hahn" <mark at hahnca.com> wrote:

>I have written a simple windows shareware app, EzPicMailer, in Python 2.3,
>wxPython 2.4.1, and PIL 1.1.4  that lets computer novices find photo files,
>edit them, and mail them, all in one simple app.  Everyone is encouraged to
>check out my beta version at http://EzPicMailer.com.
>Now I need a Mac programmer and a Linux programmer to port to these
>environments for me.

wxPython works identically in all three environments.  I'd be surprised if
you had to make more than trivial changes.  Plus, if you just released your
source code, others would be happy to make the changes for you, in exchange
for readme credit.

>I'm new to shareware but I'm guessing that paying 10%
>of gross license receipts would be fair.  I put in close to 200 hours into
>the app and I'm assuming that 20 hours to do a decent looking port would be
>about right, which gives 10% of the effort.  Let me know if I'm off-base
>here.

The problem is that 10% of your shareware revenue stream is likely to come
to approximately $1 per month.

Further, the shareware revenue stream from your Linux port is almost
certainly going to be $0 per month.  Linux users do not pay for software
tools like this.  There's just too much outstanding stuff available for
free.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.