RAD with Python

Ubaidullah Nubar ubaidullahnubar at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 16 00:35:20 EDT 2003

> > I will appreciate some more clarification regarding the GUI framework.
> > From the wxPython web site, it looks very good but the two tools
> > mentioned here
> > for easing the development of GUI apps (mojoview and kiwi) are both
> > based on GTK.
> >
> > Are they fundamentally different or just a matter of style.
>
> Well, pyGTK and wxPython are Python-language wrappers or bindings
> around two separate GUI toolkits, GTK+ and wxWindows.  As such, the
> code details will wind up being different.  I suspect, though I have
> no experience with pyGTK, that differences will be mostly syntactic
> and that overall coding thought processes will be mostly similar.  Can
> anyone else confirm/deny?

If they both have a similar style, then that would be good as it will
be easy to convert from one to the other easily. Otherwise, one would
have to be extra-cautious before selecting the framework for large
projects.

> > Which framework supports internationalization better? Do they support
> > Right-to-left layouts?
>
> I know that wxPython relies on wxWindow's internationalization
> capabilities, which seem to be centered around gettext and friends.  I
> do not see anything in the documentation that suggests support for
> bidirectional font support.  Seeing as how gettext and GTK+ are both
> GNU apps, it should come as no surprise that GTK+ also uses gettext.

The article that you mentioned below states that GTK+ has bidrectional
support. Doesn't mention anything similar for wxPython. But there are
references in wxWindows docs about right-to-left. Anybody knows how it
compares to GTK+?

> > Is there any site that lists the differences/capabilities of each
> > framework?
>
> There is a comparison of wxWindows, Qt, GTK+, FOX and fltk at:
> http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/928/

Thanks for the link. It is quite informative.

> > Also, a comparison between Boa Constructor and Glade-2. I haven't seen
> > either so am not sure if they are even comparable.
>
> Boa-Constructor is a fully-fledged IDE that includes a code editor,
> debugging, and a GUI designer tool.  Boa is based around wxPython, and
> also includes substantial support for development for the Zope
> application server.  Boa-Constructor is not yet fully mature, but
> shows much promise.
>
> Glade is a GUI designer only, that generates XML resource files used
> by GTK+ to generate the GUI interface.  As such, it is not directly
> comparable with Boa.  PyGTK has support for working with such resource
> files.
>
> Interestingly enough, wxGlade is a more-or-less copy of Glade, but for
> use with wxPython rather than GTK+, and it generates "cleaner" code
> than Boa-Constructor.

I have been working through some wxPython examples. When external
resources like icons or images are used on a control, is there a way
to embed it into the freezed executable?

Thanks & Regards,
Ubaidullah Nubar.