Python ISPs

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Mon Sep 22 15:59:34 EDT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Lothar Scholz wrote:

> "Ulrich Petri" <ulope at gmx.de> wrote in message news:<bkd551$f0b2$1 at ID-67890.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> > "Paradox" <JoeyTaj at netzero.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > news:924a9f9c.0309181224.374a5bef at posting.google.com...
> > > Does anyone know of some ISPs that have Mod_Python installed. Most
> > > seem to allow Python CGI but not things like Mod_Python or Spyce. Is
> > > this a viable solution or should I just learn PHP. I would prefer to
> > > leverage my Python knowledge but I also would like a fast robust
> > > solution.
> >
> > You could go for one of those virtual servers all for yourself...
> >

> Most (all !?) of this virtual servers are the worst i've ever seen.
>
> Putting 100 customers on a 1 GB 2x2 GHz maschine is not a good thing
> if everyone must install there own MySQL,Apache etc.

All web hosting companies suck this way. Only a dedicated physical server
would not have this issue.

But second to a colocation or a dedicated physical server, virtual servers
(especially FreeBSD jail(8) based) are the best (low cost) solution for
mod_python. I understand there are companies that have mod_python loaded
on a shared instance of Apache and provide access to databases using db
access controls, but I would never use such a service because there is no
way it can be anywhere nearly as secure (and in most cases it's just plain
insecure).

Grisha