a quick program to download tv listings

pythonhda pythonhda at yahoo.com.replacepythonwithlinux
Thu Sep 11 20:59:51 EDT 2003

On 10 Sep 2003 23:37:47 -0700
prochak at netzero.net (Erik Lechak) wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Is there anyone out there that has written anything in python to
> download tv listings (no XML)?
>
> All the tv listing stuff that I can find is way too complex for my
> taste (includes XML overkill or is not in python).  I wrote the test
> program below and it works.  I am just curious if anyone has a more
> robust python implementation before I take the time to add all the
> bells and whistles.

I felt the same way about the XML stuff, so what I did for a project was subclass the sgmllib.SGMLParser and use it to parse channel listings from tvlistings.zap2it.com. Their HTML was pretty bad so I had to write "clean up scripts" to strip out all the crap before I used the parser though.

Take a look at ClientCookie [ http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/ClientCookie/ ] if you want to be able to login and personalize your listings before you download the HTML.