Tkinter Text widget getting too slow

Michael Peuser mpeuser at web.de
Thu Sep 4 16:06:42 EDT 2003

"Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou" <tzot at sil-tec.gr> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:eoselvguf3hvie3s95kjndhtuno0jiu09s at 4ax.com...
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 03:15:16 +0900, rumours say that "Changjune Kim"
> <juneaftn at REMOVETHIShanmail.net> might have written:
>
> >(I'm interested to see his "extremely fast" text widget, too)
>
> Notice that Michael Peuser described an "extremely fast" "binary
> editor"; I assume a dual view (hex / chars) one.  This is not a text
> widget --you don't have to account for line feeds and variable width
> characters :)

Exactly! Most of the time of general text edit or table widgets stays in
   .font.measure()
You will get an immediate speed up if you use fixed size fonts and just use
the string length for computations. I am looking for a postable short
version of my editor (I remember I started with something less 100 lines. It
grew of course ;-) Maybe I even should install a nice homepage - if I had
the time...

Kindly
Michael P