Code complete electronic version ?

Syver Enstad syver at inout.no
Thu Sep 4 04:09:21 EDT 2003

alan.gauld at btinternet.com (Alan Gauld) writes:

> On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:03:57 -0500, "A.M. Kuchling" <amk at amk.ca>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 13:40:48 +0100,
> > > If it's too much, buy it second-hand.  It's a good book, and although
> > > plenty of it is just common sense, it's the type of common sense that's
> > > easy to miss :)
> >
> > Isn't it mostly concerned with C, though?
>
> Not really, he gives examples in BASIC, ADA, Pascal and Fortran
> as well as C./C++ The latter pair dominate as a reflection on
> where the industry was in 1992. But the basic tenets apply
> regardless of language - code layout, variable naming, control
> structures etc.
>
> Code Complete is essential reading for any prpfessional
> programmer IMHO, but it may not be essential for non pros...

I agree that Code Complete is a very good book, but I also think it is
getting somewhat long in the tooth. For once it doesn't cover
object-orientation. On the topic of coding I wonder if people are not
better off buying Refactoring by Martin Fowler and Kent Beck. On the
topic of project managment and development practices I would think
that the XP white book would be more up to date.