Recursion

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Sun Sep 28 21:13:48 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:48:29AM +0000, Jakle wrote:
> I thought I understood what was going on untill "Since 0 is 0...", but after
> that I get lost. Where are the variables being stored.

Each separate invocation of 'factorial' has an associated value for a
variable named 'n'.  So on the 'Since 0 is 0' step, there are 4
invocations of 'factorial', one with n==0, one with n==1, etc.  This is
what 3.10 "Variables and parameters are local" intends to explain:

| When you create a local variable inside a function, it only exists
| inside the function, and you cannot use it outside. For example:
|
| def catTwice(part1, part2):
|   cat = part1 + part2
|   printTwice(cat)
|
| This function takes two arguments, concatenates them, and then prints
| the result twice. We can call the function with two strings:

| Pie Jesu domine, Dona eis requiem. Pie Jesu domine, Dona eis requiem.
|
| When catTwice terminates, the variable cat is destroyed. If we try to
| print it, we get an error:

| NameError: cat
|
| Parameters are also local. For example, outside the function printTwice,
| there is no such thing as bruce. If you try to use it, Python will
| complain.

So not only do catTwice and printTwice have different local names, each
invocation of catTwice (or factorial) has its own values for local
names.

Jeff