RELEASED Python 2.3.1

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Sep 25 19:28:38 EDT 2003

"Thomas Heller" <theller at python.net> wrote in message
news:smmkex9o.fsf at python.net...
> "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
> > I agree that a separate Windows run-only distribution (including
.pyc
> > instead of .py files) would be a good idea.
>
> Why would you distribute .pyc instead of .py files?

Off the top-of-my-head thought: so they could be pre-zipped without
interpreter having to write them.  But I remember now discussion of
turning off .pyc writes if desired.  Anyway, such decisions are for
the doers.

>Most of the time
> they are not even smaller, and tracebacks would be problematic.

Tracebacks?  Production consumer apps shouldn't have them, should
they? :-)

Terry J. Reedy