Hunting a memory leak

Francesc Alted falted at openlc.org
Tue Sep 2 14:48:32 EDT 2003

Edward K. Ream wrote:

> Here are two general ideas:
>
> 1.  Try to simplify the problem.  Pick something, no matter how small (and
> the smaller the better) that doesn't seem to be correct and do what it
> takes to find out why it isn't correct.

Yeah... using this approach I was finally able to hunt the leak!!!.

The problem was hidden in C code that is used to access to a C library. I'm
afraid that valgrind was unable to detect that because the underlying C
library does not call the standard malloc to create the leaking objects.

Of course, the Python reference counters were unable to detect that as well
(although some black points still remain, but not very important).

Anyway, thanks very much for the advices and encouragement!

Francesc Alted