BaseHTTPServer/SimpleHTTPServer HTTP/1.1 support?

Joshua W. Biagio jwbiagio at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 30 00:37:55 EDT 2003

Hello all,

I am having difficulty getting the HTTP/1.1 support (i.e. pipelining and persistent connections) for the BaseHTTPServer library to work. When I change the line for the protocol in BaseHTTPServer from "HTTP/1.0" to "HTTP/1.1", the SimpleHTTPServer program can still serve directory listings and even graphics files, but it hangs when I try to browse to an HTML file. I have a directory of web pages that I use to test servers (such as Medusa and Quixote, etc.), and the python library functions Base/SimpleHTTPServer work fine in HTTP/1.0 mode but not in HTTP/1.1 mode. I am using Python 2.3 under Windows XP. Has anyone seen behavior or does anyone have a fix?

Thank you for any information in this matter-

jwb