Help me choose a C++ compiler to work with Python

Sun Sep 21 19:01:43 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:

> rhmd wrote:
>>I use Windows XP and 98.  Have very little experience with C++.  Am
>>doing statistical and other simulations that require billions of
>>calculations
>
> Have you considered and investigated Numeric Python or similar
> products?  Perhaps your assumption that you have to revert to
> hand-crafted C code is premature.
>
> -Peter

Look at the enthought Python installation (one is available for each
of 2.2 and 2.3) -- they not only install a slew of the packages you
might need for calculation heavy Python use, but (to support weave,
I believe), they also include a mingw32 compiler (minimal gnu win32)
which you can use for C++.  If you get to the point where you are
optimization-bound on your compiler (which you should determine by
measuring, not intuiting), you could do worse than the Intel compiler.

-Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org