Code complete electronic version ?

Jeremy Dillworth jwdillworth at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 08:52:21 EDT 2003

I had it, but got rid of it (gave to co-worker).

After reading the _The Pragmatic Programmer_, the
"software development as construction" metaphor seemed
slightly broken IMHO and I couldn't get excited about
reading it.

The authors of the latter explain software development like
gardening, there being an element of unpredictability
or at least hard-to-predictability.

I think this explains software development nicely.
Sometimes what you planted doesn't grow like you expected.
Sometimes some weeding is necessary.  It's an ongoing thing,
more so than construction where once a building is built,
it's built, maybe needing the occasional paint job or a new
roof but those chores don't seem to make good software
development metaphors.

Construction is also highly predictable.  If you throw N
workers at building of X size the job will be done in Z
weeks.  Expecting such predictability from software
development will lead to disappointment, tension, and
possibly job loss.

Anyway, I highly recommend _The Pragmatic Programmer_.
Some bits of _Code Complete_ are also good, the "don't
flip the bozo bit" (IIRC) section contains some good
advice.  And it does encourage one to take pride in
their coding.