OT: best book in years

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 4 16:53:49 EDT 2003

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 20:16:59 +0200, Patrick Useldinger
> to know what *you* consider to be the best book you have read in the last
> few years, about Python or IT in general.

IT Architectures and Middleware by Chris Broitton was a good read
- but probably only if you are involvced in building big
enterprise wide systems.

I'm currently reading Robert Glass's book "Facts and Fallacies of
Software Engineering" which is thought provoking and reminds us
how little real progress we've made inthe last 30 years.

And if you haven't already read it you owe it to yourself to read
the "Structure & Interpretation of Computer Programs" (aka SICP
and available online if you want a sample). Warning: It could
change how you think about programming!

And finally, I keep going back to Jon Bentley's "Programming
Pearls" - I believe now available in a single volume. Words of
wisdom on every page there.

HTH,

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website