in Ram database?

John D. lists at webcrunchers.com
Thu Sep 4 22:14:05 EDT 2003

Does anyone know if there is an "in-ram" dictionary based database
for Python.

I can see some applications where this can really be powerful in
applications requiring 10,000 records or less.

Is such a database available?   If so,  who is working on it,
or where is it?

I've heard that Python supports a stand-alone database.   I looked
for it in the Docs,  and see the "dbm" module.   I haven't found
any examples of code,  so don't know how to use them.   I'm one
of those guys that learn through examples,  and have very little
luck in figuring out how to use anything unless I can see examples
of their use.

My idea is that ALL datums would be Python Dictionary objects,  so
not only can you store data,  but python objects as well.

Storage to disk would be through pickled files,  or through CSV
format,  allowing easy import and export from other databases.

I'm sure something like this exists,  I just haven't found it yet,
and if not,  then I'm well on my way of implementing one myself.

I kinda like the idea of being able to define smaller tables as
"in-memory" types,  and the really large massive ones in other forms
managed by mySQL, PostGres, or bsddb3 databases.

Any leads you guys???

JD