Any tools to print source code call hierarchy

Simon Burton simonb at webone.com.au
Sat Sep 6 19:51:36 EDT 2003

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:34:21 -0700, Lothar Scholz wrote:

> Because python is a dynamical typed non image language there is no
> tool that can do this and there never will be any (at least one that
> is not using heuristics or sampled data from previous runs).

hmmm... I think (some) static analysis may be possible. The main
thing to exclude is eval/exec but even then, yes you're right, some
programs would just have to be run to find out what they do.

I remember reading some interesting things here:
http://www.python.org/doc/essays/cp4e.html

In particular:
"Cormac Flanagan and Matthias Felleisen.
Componential Set-Based Analysis.
ACM Transactions of Programming Languages and Systems"

Simon.