safari

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Thu Sep 11 18:44:11 EDT 2003

mertz at gnosis.cx (David Mertz) writes:

> jjl at pobox.com (John J. Lee) wrote previously:
> |Pearson and O'Reilly owned by a single company, or something?  I have
> |a vague recollection that Pearson owns some other companies...
>
> There's been a huge amount of consolidation in publishing.  Pearson is
> not the parent of Addison-Wesley, Longman, Benjamin Cumming, New Riders,
> Peachpit, Cisco Press, Prentice Hall, SAMS, Que, and several more
> imprints.  It's really a rather bad thing,

(That should have been "now the parent...", I assume.)

Wow.  :-(

Actually, doesn't Pearson own some stuff outside of publishing too?
That's what ISTR hearing about recently...

> although they do not seem to
> use the degree of ideological acid-test that, say, MediaCorp
> acquisitions do.

What are you referring to there?  Is Mediacorp Rupert's company?
What's this about ideological acid-tests?

> That said, I'm pretty sure that O'Reilly remains one of the few
> independent publishers of technical books.  I think Manning is also.

By technical books, do you mean computing books?  I've no idea what
goes on with other fields, but I don't doubt they've been
'consolidating' too (and, of course, AW, Longman, Prentice Hall
themselves publish(ed) a broad range).

So, *is* Pearson's 'Safari' the same as O'Reilly's?  I thought Alex
had mentioned Pearson in that connection.  Too lazy to check.

John