When did Windows start accepting forward slash as a path separator?

Stephen Horne $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ at $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.co.uk
Sat Sep 27 16:30:03 EDT 2003

On 27 Sep 2003 17:20:44 GMT, bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 09:47:47 +0100, Stephen Horne <$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$@$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:44:30 +0200, Ronald Oussoren
>><oussoren at cistron.nl> wrote:
>>
>>>The fun you can have on windows, I've
>>>managed to create files that cannot be removed :-)
>>
>>I've had that one simply by saving a web page in IE. Seriously
>>annoying.
>>
>Do you mean windows exploder will not even delete it with right-click, delete?
>Or doesn't it show up at all? (how do you know it exists? dos dir?)

There was no way I could find to delete it - not even writing a C++
program directly calling the DeleteFile API call.

I don't remember exact details - not even for sure whether it was
Win98 or Win2000 (it was too long ago for WinXP). I do remember that
the non-deletable file was in a deeply nested set of pointless folders
created by saving that web site.

Basically, it ended up sitting on my machine annoying me for ages -
I'm not sure if a new machine or a reinstall put an end to it (it was
my work machine, which tends to get fewer reinstalls).

--
Steve Horne