Explaining how a (Mind) program works

Stephen Horne $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ at $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.co.uk
Sat Sep 27 04:04:03 EDT 2003

On 26 Sep 2003 11:56:06 -0800, uj797 at victoria.tc.ca (Arthur T. Murray)
wrote:

>> Programming languages are for controlling computers,
>> not for communicating with people.

Oh dear. I hope I never have to maintain any of your code :-(

Actually, getting serious, I'm not going to jump to any conclusions
about your coding style and I agree that access to the original
author/earlier maintainers/additional documentation can be a great
help when trying to understand code. It is easy to believe that your
code expresses the 'why' as well as the 'how' when you are familiar
with it, but to learn otherwise when someone else has to read it.

But still, I think that statement is simply false. Source code should
not just written to control computers, but also to be understood and
maintained by people.

--
Steve Horne