PIL: Group4 Tiff Images

max max at nospam.com
Fri Sep 26 13:56:47 EDT 2003

Doug Tolton wrote:
> I have been able to load a group4 tif into the wxImage class, but I
> get tag errors when attempting to do so.
>
> Is there a better way of working with Group4 Tiffs?  I have a huge
> volume of Tiffs and decompressing them isn't a good option for me.
>
> Any ideas on the best way to tackle this problem?

many :)
I don't know where PIL stands on TIFF, but almost all C-based libraries
rely on libtiff package in the end. Depending on how it is compiled you
will get different results for TIFFs with nonstandard tags (which is
probably your case). If you are willing to tinker you can recompile wx's
version of libtiff. Also, how about reporting to the PIL people? G4 is
the most popular tiff codec, they would want to know if it's broken.
What are you doing with all those tiffs anyway?
BTW, you did a nice job obfuscating your email, but it is plaintext in
the header - you have to reconfigure you mailer to hide it...