Comment on PEP-0322: Reverse Iteration Methods

Stephen Horne $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ at $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 15:43:10 EDT 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:42:28 -0400, "Sean Ross"
<sross at connectmail.carleton.ca> wrote:

>"David Eppstein" <eppstein at ics.uci.edu> wrote in message
>news:eppstein-AF4213.10592426092003 at news.service.uci.edu...
>> Your proposed name has an implication for the semantics.
>
>Do the implied semantics of ireverse() differ from those implied by the
>names iter_backwards(), reverse_view(), riter(), etc.?
>Because, to me, they' re just different words for the same idea.

So far as I can see, it is having the function rather than the method
that creates the issues - that originated with David Abrahams post (at
least tracing back through this thread - it had been suggested
before).

However, your reply was implicitly supporting the use of a function
rather than a method. If 'ireverse' is imported from 'itertools' then
it cannot be a method of the object being reversed.

I think some wires have been slightly crossed - David Eppstein raised
a good point, but should perhaps have aimed it at David Abrahams.

--
Steve Horne