Python memory management

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Sep 7 15:52:15 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.1062002453.11411.python-list at python.org>,
Marcelo A. Camelo <camelo at esss.com.br> wrote:

>I've noticed that, from all their concerns, the most difficult to tackle
>(for me, at least) is memory management.
>
>Currently, the most popular platform for game applications are videogame
>consoles. Memory on these special purpose machines are a premium
>resource and one should used it judiciously. Python's RTE footprint and
>memory fragmentation issues make it a hard sell for game programmers
>(many tend to prefer LUA).

As Michael Hudson said, those are real issues.  Nevertheless, the
increasing power of game consoles renders the first issue less
important, and PyMalloc (standard in Python 2.3) does much to alleviate
the second issue.

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz