Flash Remoting in Python?

Dave Benjamin dave at 3dex.com
Thu Sep 11 19:34:22 EDT 2003

"Randy" <randito at randito.com> wrote in message
news:7712111.0309111357.3be3b591 at posting.google.com...
> Does anyone have any interest in a project like this?  It would be
> port for the most part; the AMF format is already well known.  In
> addition, there is a lot of similarities between ActionScript objects
> and native Python objects; porting between the two data types would
> not be difficult.

I think it would be fantastic to have support for this in Python. In fact,
the only thing that's even made me consider using PHP lately is the AMFPHP
library. But be careful! Last time I checked, AMFPHP was not endorsed or
supported by Macromedia. This means a) it might not be legal, especially
with the DMCA and other such intrusions, b) Macromedia could change their
protocol anytime they want, causing everyone to have to reverse-engineer the
changes.

Another way to set up an RPC interface between Flash and Python would be to
use plain old HTTP GET/POST, with either urlencoded key-value pairs or WDDX
as a serialization format. (PyXML supports WDDX, as does PHP, as does Flash
if you Google around for the wddx.as script).

Cheers,
Dave

PS. Still a good idea for a project, though. =)